Wednesday, August 12, 2009

If you can't 'remix' it, don't buy it

'Remix' is a term that fashion/style bloggers use to show they are wearing a piece of clothing in a different way than it's original intent. This could mean wearing a skirt as a shirt or simply wearing a piece of clothing with different tops or accessories than you do normally. I have as many fashion/style blogs in my Google Reader as I do personal finance blogs; I love fashion/style and personal finance equally. But going out and spending money on new clothing all the time does not fit my budget contraints, and I know I'm not the only one! My new clothing purchase rule is that: If I can't 'remix' an item at least four ways, I won't be purchasing it. This can also be a budget-friendly way of shopping, because it forces you to really think about your purchases and how they fit into your wardrobe. Shopping in thrift stores or clothing exchanges (like Buffalo Exchange if they are in your area) for big ticket clothing items can make your clothing budget stretch even further.

I've found several instances over the course of the summer just when I've thought I don't have anything to wear, I've been to inspired to wear something I already own in a new way by looking at how other people on the web create their outfits. This was especially helpful when I banned myself from buying new clothing in July.

Here are a few stylish ladies I've stumbled upon in my web surfing that are great at wardrobe 'remixing' and inspire me all the time:

And if you like taking pics of your outfits (like me) to show how you 'remix', here are a few style/fashion communities:

Here's to looking stylish on a budget!

2 comments:

Dina's Days said...

Remxing outfits is the best! Not only do you get to utilize the item many times, but you get your creative fashion juices going too!
Think Thru Fashion always does that on her blog. Check out her latest one:
http://www.thinkthrufashion.com/2009/08/one-trina-turk-printed-top-6-different-looks/

Emily said...

this is really good advice to rookie fashionistas. remixing items gives you tons of different outfits for a fraction of the price. y'all should also check out Le Blog de Betty and What I Wore Today for inspiration!