Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reasons to buy organic: Scary sized fruit


I normally purchase organic fruit and vegetables because though there is a cost difference, I worry about the higher levels of pesticides that have been known to be in non-organic fruit. There are differing opinions on how harmful pesticides are to humans, but I just prefer to stay away from them. I also try to remember to purchase locally grown fruit, and plan to make an effort to do that more often in the future.

On my last trip to the grocery store, I was in a rush and didn't look closely at the strawberries I grabbed with the intention of using them for a recipe. But when I opened them up yesterday, I saw a strawberry larger than my palm. That's a little scary to me. I'd never seen a strawberry that big. Needless to say, that gigantic strawberry is still sitting in my refrigerator. Genetically modified fruit that is unnaturally large is not for me. I hate to waste food, but I don't feel comfortable eating it. That will teach me to rush while food shopping....

There is a listing of the top 12 fruit and vegetables that have been found to have the highest quantities of pesticides. Strawberries are right up there on the list, so I feel better about not eating that large strawberry. I also came across this calendar recently that has a listing of fruit and vegetables that are in season by month. I'm not a gardener, so I don't know what fruit and vegetables are in season off the top of my head.

Do you eat organic fruit and vegetables despite the cost difference, or does eating organic food matter to you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrea P. aka LongLeggedLife said...

This is a topic that runs through my mind often, thanks for sharing. Would I like to say I’m totally Organic & Natural? Yes. Unfortunately, I, like many others, am currently in a position that doesn’t financially allow me to take the totally organic route like I would have it. The bigger question though is this to me, why do we have to pay extra for you NOT to put chemicals that may/may not cause harm into our food in the first place?

Anonymous said...

I only eat organic, the cost does not matter. Taking care of what God has given me: my body! is of my top concern. I just make sure that I have fruit/veg budgeted into my grocery spending.

I'm printing that calendar, by the way, thanks for the link!