Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Going meatless is good for your wallet and waistline

I don’t consider myself to be a vegetarian though I may eventually become one. I admit, do love a good piece of baked chicken, fish filet, turkey, or lamb chop. I'm not ready to give up meat completely right now. I can count on one hand and have fingers left over how many times over the last five years that I have eaten beef or pork. It probably has a lot to do with the way I was raised, but I actually prefer certain dishes with out meat added. My mother rarely cooked beef or pork unless it was for a family occasion and others wanted to eat it.

I have stopped buying meat on a regular basis more so for economic reasons than for health reasons, although I am aware of the health benefits of cutting out or lessening your meat intake. Food (meat in particular) is simply too expensive. I can buy a bag of beans for a few dollars that will last me up to two weeks where as a few chicken cutlets will only last a day or two. Check out this New York Times article on ways to ease into a meatless diet, Putting Meat Back in Its Place.

Foods rich in protein other than meat include: soybeans, quinoa (a grain), spinach beans, grains, nuts and seeds.

Would you be willing to cut meat out of your diet for economic or other reasons?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rice and beans create complete proteins (much like an egg), but for it to be a complete protein they have to be eaten together because each one is missing a piece of the puzzle! Isn't that interesting?

(just thought I would share...like the post, and I don't think I could live without meat of some kind maybe once or twice a week.)

Katie Gregg said...

We've reduced our meat consumption in an effort to save money and also be more responsible stewards of the earth's limited food resources. I would be willing to go totally vegetarian, but my hubby does like some meat. :)

I try to stretch what we do use as far as possible. For example, a pasta dish that has lots of fresh veggies, but only one chicken breast cut into small bits.