Sunday, February 1, 2009

Things That Annoy Me...Can You Really Afford That House?

I love interior design and shows that revolve around home purchasing. So I often watch the cable stations, Home and Garden Television (HGTV) and The Learning Channel (TLC) when I can find nothing else to watch on television. Lack of programming that actually interests me on cable happens often enough that I question if I should get rid of the cable altogether, but that alas will be pondered on in another post.

I like shows like House Hunters, My First Place and Property Virgins. But something annoys me about these shows. Every so often whether the show I am watching focuses on a single person, a couple, or a family with children, they inevitably choose a home that completely falls outside of the budget they set. And sometimes, according to the shows, these people actually buy homes that fall outside of what they can comfortably afford. Depending on the show, you get more or less info on the prospective homeowner's finances.

I understand that some of these shows may be reruns that were shot before the economic turbulence the American economy has been experiencing due in part to mortgage loans, but some of them are fresh episodes. I know people have certain expectations in mind when they take the major step to purchase property, but what is so hard about staying within budget to avoid financial drama down the line? Seems pretty simple to me, but then again, I am not ready to be a homeowner yet.

0 comments: