Tuesday, December 23, 2008

2009 - New Year's Resolutions

I still can't believe that 2008 is almost over. Overall, I'd say its been a good year. A few highlights of the year are:
  • I discovered the PF blog world and actually started this blog in April.
  • I started a new job in January (not so new anymore, I'll have been here a year in a few days...).
  • I became more aware of what I spend my money on.
  • I started graduate school part time.
  • I became a board member of a non-profit organization.
  • And if I'm honest, I spent way too much money traveling back and forth to Philly.
I have a long way to go, but at least I'm working toward some of my goals. I'm sure I could list about 10 more, but I wanted to stick with things that I can realistically achieve, so I don't feel like a failure at the end of the year. So here are my resolutions for 2009:

Personal
  1. Take one non-family trip in honor of my 25th birthday.
  2. Study as much as it takes to get good grades (minimum of a 'B') in my Spring 09 semester classes.
  3. Exercise on a regular basis (gym, exercise DVD's, etc). I don't need to lose weight, but I'd like to build more muscle, flexibility, and upper body strength. I'm sure there are 10 year olds stronger than me at the moment...
Financial
  1. Get Emergency Fund up to $3,000.
  2. Pay off $3,000 in credit card debt.
  3. Stick to my budget!
  4. Shopping moratorium for first 6 months of the year (I will do a separate post on details).
  5. STRETCH GOALS: (1) Get car fund up to $1,000. (2) Start contributing to a Roth IRA.
Career
  1. Get a mentor and communicate with this person on a regular basis.
  2. Get at least two freelance writing gigs.
  3. Write/submit one grant proposal for non-profit (because I'd like to turn this into a marketable skill anyway).
Have you plotted any major goals to achieve in 2009?

2 comments:

MoneyMaus said...

I need to do 2009 goals. Yours are great!! Good luck in the new year! :)

K. said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a PF blog! I had one briefly but didn't stick with it. Happy saving! (Found this on your LinkedIn profile)

-Takiesha