Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fall Is Coming...Is Your Wardrobe Ready?

When you are just starting to purchase clothing for work, quality is more important that quantity. You can wear items several ways for different looks and accessories like scarves and jewelry really make an outfit pop. Here are a few items I would suggest you add to your wardrobe if you are a young professional or just in need of updates:


~3 piece suit in a dark color ~Trench coat/Wool Coat ~Cardigan set ~White button down shirt ~1 all purpose dress (for work and play) ~Cotton long sleeve shirts ~Pants/Skirts (black, brown, tan) ~Understated jewelry ~Trouser Jeans ~black heels and flats

In my opinion, accessories make (or break an outfit), but I advise people with budget limits to purchase classic items and stay away from the trendy stuff that will be in the back of your closet next year. For example, I love the short boots that are now in style but have been hesitent to buy any for fear that it's a trend that won't stick around for me to get my money's worth out of them.

Here is a list of items I plan to add to my wardrobe this fall as long as they fit in the budget:


  • Coat. I only plan to purchase a coat if I can find one that fits in either yellow or purple. I can't see myself spending as much as the one costs above, but I'm sure I can find a cheaper version elsewhere. Since your coat is what people see you in the most in your daily travels once the weather hits a certain level, I think you should have a nice one that will look just as nice under a suit as it would under jeans and a t-shirt.

  • Boots. Every year, I wait around until the end of the season to try to catch boots on sale and can never find my size because it's sold out! Good boots should last several seasons, so this year, I might start boot shopping sooner before the pickings are slim and get some boots that look similar to these.

  • All-purpose dress. I love dresses because I don’t have to think about a whole outfit which makes the process of getting ready in the morning much faster. A dress like this one can be made work-appropriate with a cardigan and after work appropriate by just taking off the cardigan and adding more dramatic jewelry and a clutch bag.

  • Cardigan (in a bright color). A light weight cardigan be worn under neutral colored shirts because I like to wear layers as the fall weather sets in.

  • Shirts in bright colors (purple, blue, mustard yellow, prints). I normally find reasonably priced shirts at H&M, so I will most likely look for my shirts there. I will also look for accessories like tights and inexpensive jewelry at this store.

I don't anticipate getting everything off my list, but I'll get some boots at a minimum. What fall clothing purchases do you plan to make?

3 comments:

Eve said...

thanks for the great post!!! I will do a piggyback post later on tonight on what I am going to buy for the fall to update my wardrobe

*Diane* said...

this is my fall shopping list:
blue shoes, preferably heels
brown heels
Gray heels
Zebra heels
Leopard print heels
leopard print flats
Sad that its all shoes isn't it..lol

Shen Dove said...

I realize now after looking through my closet, I could use a few belts as well...If anyone asks me what I would like as a Christmas/Birthday present, I'd say a purple hobo bag.