Thursday, August 7, 2008

To cruise or not to cruise…let’s think about it

One of my girlfriends asked me if I’d like to go on a cruise to an island next May around Memorial Day. I really wanted to think about how much it would cost me before committing to the trip so I told her I’d make up my mind and get back to her later this week.

The cruise would cost about $600 and I’d have to put down a deposit by December of $300. I guess I’d have to include travel to where the cruise is leaving from which I think is Virginia, so about $80 on the train (roundtrip). There are probably taxes involved and I have to renew my passport so this cruise will probably cost me about $900-$950. I'm not big on souvenirs, so I won't budget much for that. My friend told me this amount was based on a total of three people, so it could potentially be cheaper if another one of our friend’s decides to come. I can’t remember the last time I went on a trip that wasn’t family – related; at least two years ago. It’s nice to have a family that likes to travel, but I’d like to travel with friends for a change.

The price doesn’t sound too bad and I’m sure I can save money so I don’t have to tap my savings for the trip. I heard that cruises are economical because they are all-inclusive (food, entertainment, drinks, etc.). There would also be day-trips to other islands, which would be nice. This trip would also fulfill my goal of traveling outside of the United States during 2009. Well, I’ll have to get more details but…looks like I made up my mind.

Does anyone have any cruise experiences, good or bad? Are they worth the money?

1 comments:

CBonebreak said...

Not all cruises include drinks beyond sodas- if you want to enjoy the nightlife on the boat via alcoholic drinks, be prepared to pay up for those.

Also, if the boat is docking at an island and offers excursions, those will be an additional fee, as well. I went snorkeling in the Bahamas while on a cruise excursion for $75, which, while not quite worth all $75, was still fun. You might feel like you're missing out if you don't do an excursion, but be sure to budget for it.

Otherwise, all the food is free and all-you-can-eat, and dinner is usually great!