Monday, July 21, 2008

Poor Economy Slows Women In the Workplace

According to the recent article in the New York Times: Poor Economy Slows Women in Workplace


After moving into virtually every occupation, women are being afflicted on a large scale by the same troubles as men: downturns, layoffs, outsourcing, stagnant wages or the discouraging prospect of an outright pay cut. And they are responding as men have, by dropping out or disappearing for awhile.

As a woman, this is encouraging me to keep funneling money into my emergency fund. Like other single 20-somethings, dropping out of the workforce is not an option. I am hopeful like everyone else, that the economy will rebound, but who knows how long that will take?
Image: New York Times

2 comments:

The Legal Optimist said...

I'm guessing the economic rebound date will be in late 2010, but more apparent in 2011. What's your guess?

Small Budget, Big Style Chick said...

In my non-expert opinion: I say the earliest point in which we will see an economic rebound would be the first quarter of 2009 with the new president in office. My blog isn't politics focused - I'll leave that to all of the awesome political bloggers out there, so I won't say who I plan to vote for/want to win. But regardless of who the next president is, I believe that will have a major impact on the economy.