Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What is Generation Y?

The other day, I came across the latest installment of the Young and Ambitious Series in the Washington Post, What Comes Next After Generation X?

"Everyone knows the G.I. generation of World War II and the baby boomers who followed. And everyone knows the late-20th-century demographic labeled with the non-label generation X. But the next generation, a growing force in presidential politics, the job market and the spread of social networking, is harder to define. Lumped under millennials or generation Y, some in their 20s and early 30s say those titles and others ginned up almost daily in a brand -obsessed pop culture confuse them. They are unsure what most encapsulates their experience....No doubt it has always been difficult for generations to accept labels and generalizations. But some in the post-X generation say their puzzlement over their collective identity is more pronounced because their formative experiences have been so splintered."


Do you or 20-somethings you know identify with the term Generation Y?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't like the label of Gen Y, but when I read the descriptions of a "normal" millenial we both fit and so do our friends... so I guess we are?

Shen Dove said...

I use the term sometimes for lack of a better one. But I don't know if I quite fit it either.